Friday, December 7, 2012

If it smells like a skunk...

I like to follow the Bruins, read up on them when I get a chance.  During this lockout, I go to the TSN.ca website, CSNNE, NESN, just about any link I can find to keep up with the lockout.  Today I read a story at CSNNE that read as if the lockout is Don Fehr's fault and that he's to blame for not having a signed agreement right now.

Really?

I've read Ron Hainsey's account of what took place during negotiations.  It sounds as if the NHL decided to pull everything off the table once the players requested bringinig Don Fehr back into the negotiations.  Who can blame them?  The players pay Don Fehr to represent them in all negotiations.  If the players felt they were so close to a deal that they wanted Don in there, I say go for it.  If I have hired a lawyer, do I want him to show up in court to defend me or after the trial is complete?

Personally, I fault both the players and the owners for the situation the NHL is in right now, with most of the blame falling on the owners.  I like the quote from Bettman about the NHLPA really not wanting to end the lockout.  I believe that.  I believe all those NHL players that have gone to Europe want to spend time away from their families back here in the U.S. and Canada.  I believe the NHL players not in Europe stayed back because they really didn't want to collect any paychecks.  I believe older players like Daniel Alfredsson and Marty Brodeur really don't want to play at least one more year in the best hockey league in the world.  You're right Gary, the players have all kinds of reasons to avoid playing hockey.  Let's follow the bouncing hockeypuck:

Who wanted to continue under the old CBA until a new one could be signed?  The players.
Who wanted to continue talking when Gary Bettman wanted to take a 2 week break?  The players.
Who wanted to continue talking even after the owners left out yesterday and the day before?  The players.

Do I really need to go any further to show who really wants a hockey season and who doesn't?

I give the owners credit for ponying up the extra $100 million for make whole and meet the players in the middle.  What I don't like is tying it into a 10 year CBA.  To me, that's just dirty pool.  That's slight of hand that's often seen in our U.S. Congress. 

I'm tired.  This lockout is bullshit.  The owners are bullshit.  The NHL is going to become a niche sport like jai lai and badminton.  See you on ESPN 8 (The Ocho) (shout out to "Dodgeball")!  Oops, I forgot, ESPN wants nothing to do with the NHL.

No comments:

Post a Comment