Monday, January 7, 2013

LET'S PLAY HOCKEY!!!

Well, it took me a little longer than I thought it would to post a reaction to the lockout ending.  Dam, it's good to know we'll be able to watch hockey again in just a few days.  I just thought I'd post some of my thoughts before I start to dig into the Bruins and what I think they'll look like this year.

First, I have a question.  Is it just me, or do most Canadians blame the players for the lockout?  I regularly go to the TSN.ca and sportsnet.ca websites to read about hockey.  From what I can tell, most fan reactions are pro-owner and anti-player.  What gives?  I completely side with the players and the stance they took and maintained.  Don Fehr played this masterfully, always getting more for the players even when the owners said "no mas."  Enough of the "this is a hill we'll die on" mularkey.  The players gave up some concessions but the owners sure kept saying "this is the best offer we can make" then came back with a better offer each time.  If I was in a union fighting for a new contract, Don Fehr is the guy I want leading our negotiations.

Second, why did it take so long to get here?  It seems this deal could have been made long ago.  Many have said it resembled the deal the NHLPA submitted that Bettman blew up over back in early December.  Did the owners really have a start date preordained for the shortened season?

Finally, LET'S PLAY HOCKEY!  I can't wait.  My son called me yesterday and asked when we'll be making a pilgrimage to St. Louis to catch the Blues.  My Bruins won't be coming to town, but there are still plenty of teams I want to watch (Detroit, Colorado, Vancouver).  It's good to know we'll have a season this year.

My next blog...is Gary Bettman a genius?

No comments:

Post a Comment