Friday, November 30, 2012

Mediation failed but another good idea emerges...

I haven't been a big fan of Gary Bettman since he took over as NHL commissioner.  His track record is dubious to say the least, especially when it comes to labor relations between the players and the owners.  I think his plan to "grow" the NHL was questionable, to put it mildly.  Hockey in Florida?  Columbus?  Phoenix?  Really?  Is it a surprise to anyone that according to Forbes, 4 of the biggest money losers in the NHL are the Panthers, Lightning, Blue Jackets and Coyotes?  I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that " that dog don't hunt."  However, I have to give Gary kudos for his idea coming out of the failed mediation attempt for this lockout.  It's a shame someone didn't think about it earlier to have the players face the owners without NHL and NHLPA executives involved.  There are some things I think they'll have to do to make this work.

1)  Ensure the players are fairly represented.  We don't need to see the players represented only by Sidney Crosby, Brad Richards, Zach Parise and other multi-millionaire players.  We need to see those making the minimum NHL salary, enforcers like Shawn Thornton and George Parros, represented too.  Get those involved that went through the lockout of 2004-2005, guys like Marty Brodeur, Teemu Selanne, and Todd Bertuzzi.  Heck, throw an invitation to Roman Hamrlik, giving guys representation who may not be "toeing the line" with the rest of the NHL players.

2)  Ensure the owners are fairly represented.  Let's face it, if Jeremy Jacobs and Craig Leopold and one or two other owners are involved and no other owners, we're cancelling the season.  It's that plain and simple.  Where are the owners for the three teams that supposedly bring in the most money (Toronto, the Rangers, and the Canadians)?  According to Forbes.com, these 3 teams alone bring in 83% of the profit of the NHL.  Let's see them at the table, along with the owners of big money losers like the Florida teams, Columbus and the Islanders.  Sure, I'd like to see Jacobs an Leopold when they're asked "if you're so against long term contracts, why did you approve the contracts of Seguin, Parise and Suter right before the CBA expired?"  I don't expect the players will get an honest, if any, answer.  It would be nice to see these owners squirm when faced with what I think is a lack of morals when asked to honor what you agreed to.

I'm sure there are many more steps involved before we get any type of NHL season.  Personally, I think this season is toast.  I think the players will decertify, the owners will cancel the season, and the fans will pay the worst price of all.  If the season is cancelled, my love of the NHL will be over.  This blog will cease to exist.  I've got much better things to focus on.  I sit in my office, looking at my miniature Bruins Stanley Cup, my Bruins mousepad, my Bruins banner on the wall, my Bruins NHL hockey puck, and my authentic signed Milan Lucic puck.  All of it goes into storage if the season is cancelled.  Thanks for the memories, because that's all that will be left.  No more 4 hour drives to St. Louis once a year when the B's come into town.  If the season is cancelled due to greed and, frankly, stupidity, the NHL doesn't deserve my loyalty anymore.  Nor do they deserve the loyalty of any diehard hockey fan.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  The NHL won't fool me twice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment